What is a marketing campaign?
A marketing campaign is an organized effort to promote a product, service, or cause. It typically involves creating content and materials that are distributed through multiple marketing channels to build awareness, grow engagement and drive conversions.
Most popular marketing channels for marketing campaigns
A marketing channel is a system of communication used by a company or organization to deliver messages about their products and services to a target audience. Some of the most popular marketing channels include:
- Organic social: Posting and engaging across social media platforms without financial spend.
- Paid social: Boosting content and running sales ads across key social platforms like Facebook, TikTok, Pinterest and Instagram.
- Email: Including automations and manual campaigns.
- Organic search (SEO): Investing in high-quality content and technical on-site changes to rank your content higher in Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs).
- Paid search: Marketing campaigns where you bid to appear at the top of Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs). This is also known broadly as Pay Per Click (PPC) advertising.
- Direct mail: Creating and distributing print marketing to personal or business addresses.
Other more traditional marketing channels include radio, television, and print advertising.
These are less commonly used in marketing campaigns because they are typically less accessible and feature higher start-up costs.
Marketing campaign best practices to set you up for success
Marketing campaigns are an integral part of any successful business. If you want to ensure that your campaign achieves its goal, here are some best practices to employ:
- Hone your brand messaging: A message that’s clear, concise, and resonates with the target audience is essential for success.
- Set realistic goals and measure progress: Determine what success looks like for your campaign, then develop measurable objectives that can help assess progress.
- Leverage data to inform decisions: Use insights gathered from analytics to create strategies and tactics that will generate better results over time.
- Utilize multiple channels: The more channels used in a marketing campaign, the wider reach it will have. Think about all possible channels (social media, email, print) that can be leveraged to optimize visibility.
- Experiment with content formats: Don’t just stick with one type of content. Try out different formats such as videos, infographics, or interactive pieces to keep audiences engaged.
- Implement A/B testing: Learn how to best optimize your content by setting up A/B testing and changing one element at a time (such as headline or call-to-action). This allows you to figure out which version works better for achieving specific goals and helps you drive results.
- Personalize your marketing: When possible, incorporate personalization into your marketing campaigns so that audiences receive content more tailored to their specific needs or wants, rather than a one-size-fits-all message. This will maximize impact and resonance, and increase likelihood the recipient takes action.
Powering personalized marketing campaigns with Emarsys
Emarsys helps leading brands like PUMA, Feel Good Contacts, and Nike to orchestrate sophisticated omnichannel campaigns that make every customer interaction meaningful and impactful through personalized real-time engagements.